Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Voyageur and the Dare

I am about to embark on a voyage of self-discovery; I am going to throw myself into the unknown.

What is it, to be independent? I'd like to think that I already know, but in reality, I am just as needy as everyone else. We are all dependent. We thrive off of each other's love and support, whereas we shrivel when we encounter negative emotion: We are never truly in control of ourselves. Part of being human is being vulnerable; being susceptible to others. Allowing a complete stranger to bring you joy, while acknowledging that the person you love most can cause you agony. We need each other to survive.

If you were placed in the woods tomorrow--without your precious cellphone, your socialite counter-parts--what would you do?

I sure as Hell know that I wouldn't be complaining.

I would bask in the sunlight and ponder my youth. I would relish at my body and be thankful for my limbs. From the tips of my fingers to the tips of my toes, these little pieces and parts combine to form the person that I am. I would lay under a tree, and I'd let my pupils dilate while the sunlight strikes me between each wavering leaf, caught on the light breeze. Then I'd marvel at all that I am.

For a second, marvel with me. Marvel at your hands, at your toes. Marvel at your bellybutton. Marvel at the idea that your ability to survive all grew from an intimate connection between yourself and another human being, while all that remains in a blemish on your abdomen.

Now, I dare you to go find peace. Go appreciate yourself. Go appreciate others.

I dare you to love fearlessly and adventure daringly into the great unknown with me. We are all on a never ending voyage of self-discovery.

"If I can't change the world, I'll change the world within my reach." -Catie Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment